Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Let's Scrap 1-16-13


This week on Let's Scrap is a card sketch. You may make a layout or a card with this sketch. Do join us at Let's Scrap and remember to tag your creation as 1-16-13. This card is for my one and only sibling, my older brother who's turning 37 this year. He sends me birthday card yearly so now that I'm making cards of my own, I'll make sure he gets at least one card from me once a year! :) Doesn't look like a birthday card eh? But anyway, this should be masculine enough for my brother. :)


If you are interested, read on a mini tutorial for the card texture. For some crazy reasons I keep odd sizes, tiny and narrow strips of scrap papers from past projects, waiting to be used. Anyway, now I found a good reason to use them, on my cards! One good reason is to create layers and texture, whichever deem fit.
1. I took some green strips of the papers and placed them randomly on the card just to gauge how the strips would look like. No real planning involved.
2. Then gesso-ed the white cardstock below and started pasting the strips of scraps and between the papers as they layer onto each other.
3. Gesso-ed the top layer and run the gesso with a plastic knife to make the diagonal lines
4. After the gesso is dried, I cut away the excess paper to make up to the card size. 
It's all ready for you to ink/mist and add whatever layers that you need to! 

Try it, it's pretty satisfying to me when I realised I used up quite a fair bit of odd scraps that I'm still wondering why I kept them in the 1st place & for months!


Noteables : Distress ink Salty Ocean, vellum, October Afternoon Mini Market alpha stickers/Sidewalks Miscellany, Maya Road kraft white frame, Strips of green scrap papers, white gesso

2 comments:

  1. The technique you used here is so impressive! Scraps, Gesso & a plastic knife...who would have thought?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this card, Michelle! I love that you used Gesso and the plastic knife to create such an artsy background! Well done!

    ReplyDelete